Saturday, June 2, 2012

Tornado Faith

Its easiest to have "faith" when everything is going along fine and the hardest decision you need to make is what to have for dinner.
Last night we had some bad weather and at least one tornado came through close to where I live. Its hard to believe because this is not Oklahoma or Kansas. Tornadoes in Virginia? By the coast? Well, after I saw the pictures on the news I didn't know it but I was freaked out. This internal freak-out almost always manifests in me laying in bed unable to even consider falling asleep. I kept thinking the wind sounded like it was loud in that freight train way people always describe. Eventually I drifted off to sleep.
Oddly, my little family rode out a fairly significant hurricane in September, which did not freak me out. Sure, some of it might have been because my husband was there with us, but I think it was the preparation for the hurricane that made me feel better. We had candles, water, and food ready, prepared for the worst.
Considering this I thought of the times in my life when the turn in the road was easy to see coming. Times like when Mike was taking shore duty and we had several months to decide what he was going to be doing and where and time to prepare to move. Then there were the other not so thought out or anticipated situations like car accidents or changes beyond our control (like ending up in Salt Lake when we chose Denver!). I could list so many more!
Its easy to trust that God has a good plan when we can see the plan coming together before us, or when we can "prepare." But what about the tornado situations? Is God different when things happen differently? Do I say that God is the same, but react like I don't really believe it? Can I sleep as well through the hurricane as I can through the tornado?  
I can't know how big my faith is if I always feel comfortable, always get to prepare. I get to know myself and my God during the tornado times. Maybe they are not so bad after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment