Friday, June 29, 2012

Big Flashing Sign

Although I try to deny it I can get lost at the mall, even small ones. And don't get me started about amusement parks! (I am convinced they are designed to keep you in and confused!) I prefer to go to places the same way every time, and thus, not get lost. I have no urge to find a short cut or faster way. I like signs. Big signs with arrows that are easy to follow. I like getting to where I'm going without turning around or doubling back.
Sometimes in life I just want a big sign. No guessing, no wrong turns, a Jesus GPS if you will, to point me in the right direction. It's tough when that slight feeling of dissatisfaction doesn't come with a memo saying, "this means you just need to learn to be content," or, "this means you need to make a change." Its hard when the right turn is easier and comfortable and the left turn means a little effort, but I'm so turned around I don't know my left from my right or my North from my South.
It's at these times that I find it hardest to pray because what I want is a big, neon flashing sign from God that says, "Do this..." Its hardly ever that simple. I know that God can and does work out situations to make things clear, and I have had that experience. However, there are other times and situations where nothing is clear and it almost seems that either choice is a good choice.
Maybe I let the fear of being "lost" take away my confidence? Maybe my pride or selfishness desires more or better than what I currently have? Maybe my restlessness and business don't allow me to fully experience peace in my situation?
I have a sneaking feeling that sometimes it doesn't matter if we take the right or the left turn. We tend to think of our life as on a line heading in one direction, one destination. Maybe it's ok to feel lost sometimes. Maybe we are meant to feel that anxiety and tension and let it focus us back to God who is ultimately in control.
I'll never say no to a big flashing sign from the heavens. I'll let you know if I see one.

No comments:

Post a Comment